Suddenly, it feels as if the warp drive has kicked in. We have made a lot of progress in the last few weeks towards building the space. Drywall started to go up today, marking the final stage of construction, it will be complete in about a week. The new entrance, remodeled bathrooms and new floors are all finished. All the equipment is sitting in place and ready to be hooked up to power, which should be completed by the time the drywall is finished.
There are still some things that need to be done. Major among the physical needs of the space is a dust collection system for the wood shop. Completion of he electronics/lab and finishing room will be put on hold while we work in other areas. We are currently working towards hiring staff, educators and developing the educational program. If you are interested in employment opportunities at The Manufactory, visit the job descriptions page.
So to answer the burning question of “When will you be open”. Our current plan is to open “Beta” mode on Saturday, December 28th or soon after. Please check the website often for updates on news of our opening. If you would like to be added to our email list please fill out our contact form.
Beta mode is our way of bringing the management and staff of our space together with our members in a less formal manner to help us better understand the needs of our members and to establish a user friendly atmosphere. We will stay in beta mode for a month or two while we fine tune our operations. Once the beta phase is complete we will open for full membership. While in beta mode our operation will have the following key differences:
- Initially, membership will be limited to 50 (including instructors), we will increase this limit as things progress.
- Prospective members must have experience working in a shop environment and have experience with the machines they would like to operate (if you are a novice, please wait until we are fully open).
- All members will be required to take our Basic Safety Orientation class prior to using the shop space. You may sign up for membership at any time but your membership period will not begin until you have taken the class.
- In lieu of the required Safe Use classes to operate equipment, a “checkout” will must be performed with a staff member to ensure that the member has the adequate knowledge necessary to operate the equipment safely. Once a Safe Use class is available for the equipment the member will be required to take the class, at a discounted rate, to continue operating the equipment.
- Operation hours will be shorter. M-F 10-8, Weekend 10-6. Hours will be somewhat flexible and subject to change.
- All of our equipment will not be operational at all times. Some machines still need upgrades, repairs, etc. We will post on this site the operational status of most of the major equipment. If you have specific equipment needs, please check the status or ask before joining.
- Class schedule will be limited and classes may be less structured until the education program is fully developed.
In consideration of the limitations during the beta period we will be offering an Early Adopter Special. This membership will be the only membership offered during the beta period. For $240, the price of 2 regular months, you will get 3 months of membership and free safety orientation class.